Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My trip to Baghdad

I am not going to post the picture of me and Mairtin (my son) in front of the "Victory Palace" in beautiful downtown Baghdad. We are standing across the lake from it and in front of Saddams children's palace "the Flintstone palace". I wish you could see the opulence of this compound, the size (bigger than Marathon...similar to the size of the inner loop of Houston) never mind the fact that the palace behind me is one of so many I lost count...well....it would boggle your mind. He spent Billions here on himself and his friends. The boat house alone is bigger than any home I have ever seen...and I have seen a bunch. Many of the palaces have been bombed, by both US and Iraqi forces. I was so saddened by this display of greed...in the face of so many despondent and truly poor people in Iraq. The thing that struck me is that he used his money for all the wrong reasons....he could have been beloved by his people, he could have changed the face of his country and ....well...I just don't understand. These people have nothing and he flaunted this in their faces.

Sunday afternoon
a butterfly paused over
the Flintstone palace

Here are a few links if you would like to see photos (from other people) of what I took a tour of. I didn't take my camera and this is the only one I have a copy of right now.

The palace (Al Faw) I went to for the media party and Saddams Chair are on the third link but the first two have some really nice photos and some good commentary.

As for my trip to Dubai....OMG...what a blast! I sat at the foot of the ski slope eating sushi and watching the skiers haul butt down and slam into the glass....made for much amusement during dinner.

What a great place. When I get time I will post photos up on the easy share site and send y'all the link.

That's all for now! I'm going home to bed.....goodnight all!


http://members.cox.net/campslayer/

http://midnight.hushedcasket.com/2006/05/17/the-perfume-palace-baghdad/

http://www.photos4share.com/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=-43

No comments: